ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT FOR ADULTS
It’s not hard to figure out why more and more adults today are seeking orthodontic treatment to achieve a happy healthy smile. Many patients recognize the importance of tooth and gum health and are ready to feel good about their smile. In fact, almost 20 percent of all orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. At Laguna Niguel Orthodontics, we offer a wide selection of appliances and treatments so you’re sure to find something that fits your individual needs.
COMMON REASONS WHY ADULTS ARE CONSIDERING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
- Pain or pressure in the mouth and jaw caused by crooked teeth
- Teeth are crowded or have gaps
- Overbite or underbite causing teeth to fit together poorly
- Desire for healthy teeth and a happy smile
TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR ADULTS
Even though there’s no such things as being “too old” for braces, adults may shy away from orthodontic treatment just at the thought of wearing metal braces. However, today there are a wide range of discreet, comfortable, and customizable appliances that can be used for your treatment, including:
- Ceramic braces
- Clear braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ADULT ORTHODONTICS AND ORTHODONTICS FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS:
The primary difference between treating adults and younger patients is that the jawbones of adults are fully developed and therefore cannot be changed structurally with orthodontic appliances like a child’s growing jawbones can. Other differences in treatment of adults include:
- Improper childhood orthodontic treatment – Some patients received orthodontic treatment in their youth but never completed the regimen or maintained their results. As an adult, they understand the value of good oral care and healthy smile and choose to pursue treatment once again.
- Missing, worn, or loose teeth – Over time, teeth can become worn, loose, or shift into incorrect positions over time. Missing teeth can impact the positions of the surrounding teeth and cause them to shift into the gap. These issues can only be solved with orthodontic care.
- Gum (periodontal) or bone disease – Gum recession, advanced periodontal disease, and bone loss due to gingivitis are more prevalent in adults than children. To maintain good periodontal health, patients need to have regular checkups and practice good oral hygiene at home.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
Improved Appearance– The most visible benefit of orthodontic treatment is the increased appearance and self-esteem that accompany your new smile
Better Oral Health – Not only are straight teeth more attractive, they are also easier to clean and may help prevent other health problems
Upgraded Oral Function – Receiving orthodontic treatment can help prevent long-term health issues from arising and maximize jaw and tooth function.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics and how we can help you achieve your dream smile, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment.